Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Matrimonio...Sicilian Style

A few months back, Mr F took me to the wedding of one of his good friends in Sicily. The ceremony was beautiful, held in a large church in the small town of Acireale. I'd never been to an Italian wedding before, and the ceremony (and in fact, the whole day) seemed much more traditional than some of the weddings I've seen back home.





The reception was held at a beautiful villa and gardens, about 10 mintues drive from the church. We had an enormous lunch (6 courses if I remember correctly) with wines. The reception had no dancing, no speeches, and the newlyweds didn't even share so much as a kiss. It was such an odd mood. Very sterile.

What was special, however, was the three buffets of desserts that were served on the balcony afterwards. Behold:





I wish I'd taken more photos now, but I assure you I was in dessert heaven and carbohydrate hell all at the same time. Then there was also the wedding cake. I ate about 15 helpings (had to sample a little of everything, you know) and then had to sit down and digest and think about what I'd done.


In other news, I found out today that I've been offered places in Perth and Sydney in a Bachelor of Science(Speech Pathology) degree. I'll be deferring until 2011 now that I've extended my stay in Italy, but I'm very excited. I'll be accepting the offer in Perth and graduating (if all goes to plan) by 2014.

And now I'm going to try and drag myself back to my translation.

Ciopetta xx

No comments:

Post a Comment